Every special person in our lives has a birthday once a year. When you look at it that way, that’s a lot of birthday wishes to send. Some folks seem to have a knack for saying the right thing on every occasion, but what about the rest of us?
With the fast pace of life these days, it would be great if we could reschedule birthdays as needed – unfortunately that’s not an option! Coming up with timely, heartfelt happy birthday wishes can be a challenge at best. The following guide offers a few ways to pen the perfect happy birthday wish for everyone in your life. We suggest you keep it handy year-round!
How to Write Birthday Wishes
Good birthday wishes aren’t complicated. The trouble is, they sneak up on us! Here are a few pointers to elevate your birthday messages. And if you’re still having trouble coming up with just the right words, keep scrolling for ready-to-go happy birthday messages to fit anyone on your list!
- Plan ahead. Some folks keep a separate calendar for birthdays. Buy birthday cards in bulk when they’re on sale. Be as prepared as you can so you have more bandwidth for a personal birthday wish.
- Consider who the birthday celebrant is to you: friend, colleague, a romantic partner, etc. so that the birthday message has the appropriate tone.
- Think of something unique about the person: a fond memory you both shared, how you met, or something you truly admire about them.
- If you’re sending flowers or a gift, you might tailor the birthday wish to tie in with the gift attached!
30 Best Birthday Card Messages
- Birthdays are just nature’s way of instructing us to eat more cake.
- Wishing you all things fun and delicious on your birthday!
- Hope your birthday’s as special as you are.
- Time to pop the bubbly and celebrate…Your special day is only here once a year!
- Hope this brightens your birthday the way you brighten my life just by being in it!
- Like a fine wine, you get better every year. Happy birthday!
- Wishing you happiness, health, wealth, love, and all the luck this year. Happy birthday!
- Remember that you’ll only be this age for 365 days, but you’ll be awesome forever.
- Thinking of you and wishing you all the best on your special day.
- Wishing you another year of happiness and joy!
- Aged to perfection. Happy birthday!
- You are seriously so worth celebrating. Happy, happy birthday!
- Is it hot in here, or is it just all the candles on your cake? Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday! It seems like just yesterday we were the same age.
- This world is so much better because you’re in it. Happy birthday
- Happiest of birthdays to you! Hoping your year shines brighter than ever.
- Wishing you the best of the best on your birthday and always.
- Hope you feel extra loved on your birthday!
- Wishing you a day full of wonderful birthday surprises!
- Happy 21st birthday! (Again.)
- Age isn’t important…unless you’re a cheese. Happy birthday!
- I am so, so happy you were born. Thank you for being such a special part of my life!
- Happy Birthday to someone who deserves the very best things life has to offer.
- So excited to celebrate your birthday and your amazingness! Happy, happy and many more.
- Happy birthday — wishing you positive vibes, health, and happiness for the year ahead.
- Hope today is everything you’ve been wishing for!
- Sending the best birthday wishes to one of my very favorite people.
- Happy, happy birthday! Hope this year is your favorite year yet.
- Happy birthday from your favorite child*! (*Or friend, coworker, cousin, neighbor, etc, etc.)
- Age ain’t nothin’ but a number. Happy birthday to you!
29 Birthday Messages for Best Friends
- Happy Birthday, best friend! I hope you enjoy your special day to the fullest.
- Sending you an abundance of love this birthday, bestie.
- Wishing you a year of health, happiness, peace, and prosperity.
- One of the best parts of life is friendship. Thanks for being my bestie.
- I can’t think of a better gift than your friendship.
- Birthdays come every year, but friends like you only come around once in a lifetime. Best wishes on your special day!
- I hope your birthday is just like you–fun, sweet, and full of love!
- May this birthday, and every one after, be as wonderful as you.
- We’ve made so many wonderful memories together. Cheers to many more!
- I’m so proud of the life you’ve built, and so happy to be a part of it. Happy Birthday!
- You’re someone I know I can always count on, and I hope you feel the same. Happy Birthday to an amazing friend!
- Today we celebrate you! You’re truly a ray of sunshine in my life.
- Happy Birthday to the person who’s seen me at my best and my worst, and still loves me anyway. You’re not just a friend, you’re a soulmate.
- We love a birthday queen, and you do the title justice.
- Thank you for living your life in a way that makes every day worth celebrating.
- The world is a better place because you’re in it. I hope you have an amazing birthday!
- Here’s to a year filled with new adventures, exciting opportunities, and lots of love.
- Happy Birthday to my amazing friend!
- I wish that your next 365 days are the best yet.
- Happy Birthday to my BFF! I can’t imagine life without you.
- Just like your cake, you bring joy, light, and sweetness to the world. Enjoy your birthday celebration. You deserve it.
- May your birthday and your life be as wonderful as you are.
- I hope your laughs, love, and memories are extra special today.
- Wishing my bestie the absolute best on her best day of the year!
- You’re more than a friend to me—you’re family.
- To my most wonderful friend, Happy Birthday! I hope you have a fabulous celebration!
- Like a fine wine, you’re only getting better with age!
- May your special day be sweet and spicy just like you, bestie!
- Happy Birthday to my best friend. Without our conversations, my therapy bills would be outrageous!
21 Funny Birthday Messages
- Older? Yes. Wiser? Not so much. Happy Birthday!
- Here’s to another year of wild shenanigans! Have a great birthday.
- Let the awkward looks and awful singing commence! Happy Birthday!
- You don’t have to be young to have fun! Live it up on your birthday!
- Have fun, but take it easy on the dance floor. I wouldn’t want you to break a hip or anything. Happy birthday!
- Welcome to middle age, when happy hour is naptime. Happy Birthday!
- You’re one in a million, my friend. But let’s be real, you’re also a little bit weird. And that’s why I love you. Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday to my partner in crime! I can’t wait to see what we get up to next year.
- Happy Birthday. Thank you for always being older than me.
- Even when we’re 100 years old, we’ll still laugh and gossip like we’re teenagers.
- Birthday candles won’t be the only thing getting lit this weekend!
- You know what they say about more candles… A bigger wish!
- You suck at aging! Can you at least try to look older?
- I forgot to buy a gift for you so I brought myself as your birthday gift. Count your blessings, not your wrinkles.
- Happy Birthday to the only person who will be honest with me when my makeup looks weird.
- Happy Birthday. I forgive you for being younger than me.
- You’re not getting older, you’re leveling up!
- Don’t let aging get you down. It’s too hard to get up again!
- I promise I’ll tell you if you start turning into your mother/father if you do the same for me.
- Name a better birthday duo. I’ll wait. In the meantime, Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday to the most fabulous person I know. Oh wait, it’s not my birthday.
29 Romantic Birthday Messages
- My heart overflows with love and happiness when I’m with you. Happy Birthday!
- I treasure you above all else, especially as we celebrate your life. Thank you for loving me.
- May life shower you with blessings every day of your life, especially on your birthday. I love you!
- You are everything I ever wished for, hoped for, and dreamed of. Thank you for being everything to me. Happy Birthday!
- You’re always on my mind, especially when we’re apart. You’ll always have me in your life. Happy Birthday!
- Thank you for being you. Happy Birthday!
- I hope everyone in the world could experience the love we share. I am fortunate to know such a special person. Happy Birthday!
- I wish I could express just how much I love you. May this day bring you happiness, joy, and everything you’ve ever wanted.
- I hope this love endures for an eternity, starting today. Happy Birthday!
- Every day I think of you and smile. Today my smile widens knowing you will be happy. Happy Birthday!
- I am grateful for all the wonderful memories we’ve created together. Happy Birthday!
- You were the person of my dreams years ago when we met and I still can’t believe you’re mine. Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday to the single most important person in my life. May you continue to be a guiding light for all of us.
- I wish you all the love, joy, and happiness that you give me on your special day. Happy Birthday!
- My love for you grows with every passing day. I love you so much. Happy Birthday!
- You are my shoulder to lean on, the solid rock I can hold on to when I feel myself drifting away. Happy Birthday, my love.
- Happy Birthday! Thank you for all the wonderful memories, joy, and laughter you’ve brought to our lives.
- I never thought I could love someone as much as I love you. Smile, be happy and enjoy your Birthday!
- To me, you are the embodiment of love itself. Happy Birthday!
- Happy birthday to the love of my life! I will love you always!
- I am the luckiest person in the world just for knowing you. Have a Happy Birthday!
- You are the most beautiful person I have ever met both inside and out. May today bring you all the joy in the world!
- Happy Birthday to the love of my life! I can’t imagine being without your light.
- All the words in the English language could never convey the joy I feel when I am with you. Happy Birthday, my love.
- I am thankful that you are the first person I see when I wake up every day. Today I am doubly grateful to see your lovely face. Happy Birthday!
- I will always try to show you how much I love you every day. But in case I forget, let me say it on your special day. Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday, my love. Today we celebrate you for your radiance, love, beauty, and joy.
- You have brought so much light into my life; I can’t be without you. Happy Birthday!
- Today we celebrate you. I am grateful to you every day of my life.
“Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.” — John Lennon
“Life really does begin at forty. Up until then, you are just doing research.” — Carl Gustav Jung
“The older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune.” — English Proverb
“No wise man ever wished to be younger.” — Jonathan Swift
“It takes a long time to become young.” —Pablo Picasso
“Celebrate your day of birthday as a special day. Make a specific birthday wish and write it down. You will be amazed by the power of pen and inner strength to accomplish your wishes. This will be a special gift for yourself on each birthday.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
“And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” — Abraham Lincoln
“Nature gives you the face you have at twenty, it is up to you to merit the face you have at fifty.” — Coco Chanel
“Rather than see ageing as a reason to contract, we should view it as an opportunity to expand. We should make each year of our lives are more interesting than the one before.” ― Srinivas Rao
“We turn not older with years, but newer every day.” — Emily Dickinson
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” — C.S. Lewis
“Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.” —Plautus
“With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.” —William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice
“Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you’ve got to start young.” — Fred Astaire
“If your Birthday is on Christmas day and you’re not Jesus, you should start telling people your birthday is on June 9 or something.” ― Ellen DeGeneres
“Youth is a gift of nature but age is a work of art.” ― Stanislaw Lec
“Every age can be enchanting, provided you live within it.” – Brigitte Bardot
“There is still no cure for the common birthday.” ― John Glenn
“In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years.” ― Abraham Lincoln
“The old believe everything; the middle-aged suspect everything; the young know everything.” — Oscar Wilde
“If everybody was treated like they matter — everyday; birthdays wouldn’t be so *special.*” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
“I was forced to live far beyond my years when just a child, now I have reversed the order and I intend to remain young indefinitely.” — Mary Pickford
“Forty is the age of youth. Fifty is the youth of old age” — Victor Hugo
“You know how most people dread a birthday… Well, I feel the exact opposite. I feel that every day is an extraordinary gift. Just to be here, and especially to be here with you.” ― James Patterson, Suzanne’s Diary for Nicholas
“Just remember, once you’re over the hill you begin to pick up speed.” – Charles Schultz
“Don’t just count your years, make your years count.” ― George Meredith
“The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.” ― Oprah Winfrey
Happy Birthday Wishes
“Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been” ― Mark Twain
“I know I don’t always show it, but you are the best thing that has ever happened to me. Let’s make your birthday the very special celebration it should be, and I’ll remind you of just how much you mean to me. I love you!” ― Aamir Sarfraz
“Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer. And let faith be the bridge you build to overcome evil and welcome good.” ― Maya Angelou
“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” — George Bernard Shaw
“Years have passed; years will pass; the difference being, today we are together, tomorrow our memories will be together. so here I promise you to have a wonderful birthday.” ― Bhanu Priya
“I may not be physically present to stand by you while you cut your cake, but you’ll be in my thoughts today! Happy Birthday.” ― Aamir Sarfraz
“Many times we search for the perfect words to say as well as the right reasons to stay but never have I doubted you and your ability to make me happy. You care about me, you show me ur undying love and you understand me on levels that I never thought anyone would.” ― Hopal Green
“Today is the oldest you have been, and the youngest you will ever be. Make the most of it” – Nicky Gumbel
“Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!” — Dr. Seuss
“Every day is a gift. But some days are packaged better.” ― Sanhita Baruah
“Having a birthday is like reaching a higher peak on a mountain. Pause to admire the view; reflect on how far you have come.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich
“A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman’s birthday but never remembers her age.” — Robert Frost
“Every birthday is a gift. Every day is a gift.” — Aretha Franklin
“To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent – that is to triumph over old age.” — Thomas Bailey Aldrich
“May the love in your heart overshadow any sorrows, and may you always know with a deep inner certainty, how loved you truly are.” ― Jodi Livon
“The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.” — Lucille Ball
“Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it don’t matter.”— Satchel Paige
“The only way that getting older can be a bad thing is if you are not fully living in the moment now.” ― Andrena Sawyer
“As you grow up, make sure you have more dreams than memories, more opportunities than chances, and more friends than acquaintances.” ― Anonymous
“The great thing about getting older is that you don’t lose all the other ages you’ve been.” — Madeleine L’Engle
“May your birthday be as pleasant and awesome as you always are.” ― Debasish Mridha
“Why party like it is 1999 when you can party like it is your birthday?” — Prince
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand. ~ Traditional Irish Blessing
A birthday is one of so many events elevated by the giving of flowers. Whether it’s an entire bouquet or a single stem, flowers suggest thoughtfulness, care and appreciation for a loved one. Being surprised by their sight and smell is such a pleasant way to receive birthday wishes.
The wide range of floral selection allows for a gift catered to the recipient’s unique personality and preferences. Something so carefully personalized deserves an appropriate message to match. And what’s better than sending a lovely birthday poem to your partner, friend, or family! Birthday poems serve as a creative and intimate companion, alleviating any confusion as to the meaning behind the gift. Happiness is the only plausible emotion to come from this lovely combination.
Send Happy Birthday Wishes with a Birthday Bouquet
A guide for writing birthday messages can be a real time saver, and make the birthday celebrant feel really special. Birthday flower delivery is another time saver with a big payoff, especially if you give them a personal touch. Of course you’ll have composed the perfect happy birthday message, but you can take it up a notch by ordering a specialized bouquet. It can be as simple as choosing from a list of the most fragrant flowers, or learn about their birth month flower and make it the focus of their bouquet.
However you decide on the bouquet and birthday wishes, The Bouqs will deliver the freshest, longest lasting flowers direct from the farm to their door, complete with birthday wishes!Shop All