The sun is staying out later, the skies are clear, the weather is warmer. There is no doubt about it – summertime is upon us! Maybe some of you are ready to hit the beach, maybe some of you are ready for a fabulous vacation. Maybe you can already smell the hint of a good backyard BBQ in the air. Is there anything that screams summertime more than a good backyard soiree?
It’s time to hose down the remnants of winters past off of your backyard and give it a little love. So hang up the twinkly lights and get out the patio table. If you are ready to host the rustic backyard party of the year, you’ll have to prepare some table setting ideas with one of these shabby chic tablescapes!
DIY Copper Centerpiece
For this DIY tablescape idea, all you have to do is reach into your pantry or recycling bin and find a couple of cans. With these copper vases, you’re sure to add a little shine to your shabby chic tablescape, all while recycling.
- empty cans
- adhesive remover
- copper metallic spray paint
- Tear the label off the can and then soak it in the water so the leftover sticky bits of the label become softer.
- Spray the can with the adhesive remover and scrub off the remnants of the label with a sponge. Make sure to get everything off of the can or it will show up when it’s painted!
- Spray paint the can. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area and do multiple small coats of paint. That way you will be sure you get a consistent color.
- Once the paint is dry and you’re ready to set the table, fill the cans with the flowers of your choice.
Rustic Log Candle Holder
If you are going for an outdoorsy look for your party, a good way to do it is by adding natural textures to your shabby chic tablescape. This rustic log candle holder is sure to wow your guests, and maybe even convince them you have a side hustle as a lumberjack!
- bark (have you or any of your neighbors had your trees trimmed lately? See what you can salvage!)
- 1-1/2” hole saw
- 5 tea lights
- wood stain
- Create a hole for the candles using the hole saw. Cut until they are about as deep as your tea lights. If you cut them too deep, your tea light will barely shine through!
- Stain the holes with the wood stain
- Drop the tea lights in and add the candleholder to your beautiful shabby chic tablescape!
DIY Framed Chalkboard
If you really want your table to be Instagram worthy, add a chalkboard with a cute phrase on it. Your guests will feel #blessed to be able to show off the shabby chic backyard soiree they attended. Don’t worry if you can’t find a chalkboard anywhere. For this DIY tablescape idea, you’ll need to hit up a thrift shop or a garage sale in search of a framed print. The print itself doesn’t matter, find one with a cool frame. The frame is the important part, as the print will be printed over anyway.
- framed print
- sandpaper sheet
- chalkboard paint
- painters tape
- spray paint
- If there is glass over the print in your frame, remove the glass. Discard the glass safely.
- Sand down the print to smooth it out.
- First, paint a layer of primer over the print. Then paint a layer of chalkboard paint on top of that. Let the chalkboard paint dry for 24 hours.
- Cover the chalkboard with a piece of cardboard, tape it down to be sure it stays in place so you don’t get any spray paint on your chalkboard.
- Spray several thin coats of spray paint on the frame to ensure an even layer of paint.
- Remove the tape and cardboard once your spray paint is dry and write a funky message on your chalkboard. It’s ready to be hung for your backyard soiree!
Whether you spend the whole summer entertaining or just want to have one big bash before jetting off to your next vacation spot, we at Bouqs are here with the freshest table setting ideas (and, of course, flowers!) to get your guests feeling relaxed, inspired, and ready for the summer days to come.Shop All