There is so much to do to plan a wedding, and if you’re a DIY kind of a bride, the list only continues to grow. Whether you are trying to save money, or you’re really crafty, or a bit of both, DIY projects are a great way to really personalize your wedding for you and your future spouse.
Starting off your marriage with a homemade cake is a guaranteed way to show your husband or wife that this marriage is going to be a sweet one. Anyone can learn to bake a tasty cake with practice, but what about decorating a cake? Unless you’ve got time to take a few classes, decorating a cake can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. Let flowers do the work with one of these floral cake decorations!
Floral Bouquet Topped Cake
Have you picked out special floral arrangements for your wedding? You can incorporate those flowers into your cake with a cake vase! All you need to do to decorate is bake your cake and frost it. The day of, you will pop a cake vase on top of your cake, fill it with water, and place the flowers accordingly. Even if you are a disaster at decorating cakes, you can nail this one and wow your wedding guests into thinking you’re a professional baker.
Faux Floral Cake
You won’t need to bother to get a cake vase if you just use faux flowers. All you have to do is stick the wires into the cake and arrange them accordingly. Even if you mess up your frosting job in certain spots, you can cover them up with bunches of faux flowers. This wedding cake decorating idea can be done even by the most novice cake baker!
Did you know that some flowers are edible? Adding edible flowers to any floral cake decoration will add both beauty and flavor! A list of some edible flowers are:
- Hibiscus– Hibiscus flowers are both tart and sweet, kind of like a cranberry, plus they look and feel tropical and would be perfect for any beach wedding.
- Lavender- Lavender teas, lavender lattes, lavender cookies, lavender lemonade, there’s not much that lavender doesn’t go well with! Plus it’s a beautiful and delicate flower, so not only will it taste good with cake, it’ll look good. You can even make a lavender cake.
- Pansies- Pansies have a grassy, minty type of flavor and pair really well with fruits. Plus, they come in a wide variety of colors and will brighten that cake up!
- Roses- Roses are already a romantic flower, but put rose petals on top of your cake and the level of romance will be off the charts. Roses have a strong floral scent, but their taste is more subtle and almost fruity.
- Violets- Despite their name, violets don’t only come in the color violet. There are 400-500 different types of violets alone and as a floral cake decoration, they’ll add a hint of a sweet floral flavor.
Tips For Edible Flower Picking
- If you choose edible flowers that your guests will be eating with their cake, make sure they weren’t sprayed with a lot of pesticides. The flowers found in the produce section of your local grocery store is this is a safe way to know they’re ready to eat!
- When you are ready to add your edible flowers to your cake, gently wash them in cold water and let them air dry on a paper towel.
- If you need to store the flowers before the big day, they can last in the fridge in an airtight container with a damp paper towel for up to a week.
While not all flower petals are meant for consumption, a few of the edible flowers in our Bouqs can help you put those finishing touches on your wedding cake.Shop All