As temperatures get warmer, there’s just so much more to look forward to – pool parties, trips to the park, and best of all, peonies! Peony season is upon us, and it’s definitely something to be excited about. After all, they are a popular bloom amongst flower enthusiasts everywhere.
We’re sure that you want to know more about these beautiful flowers as much as the next person, and it turns out that there’s a lot to know! Here are some cool, interesting facts about peonies that everyone should know:
1. Peonies actually symbolize good fortune and a happy marriage, which is probably why they’re a popular addition to everyone’s wedding flowers.
2. The peony’s name actually derives from Greek mythology! Paeon was a student of Asclepius, the Greek god of medicine and healing. Because Paeon discovered a root that could lessen birth labor pains, Asclepius grew envious of his pupil. To protect him from his mentor’s wrath, Zeus turned Paeon into a peony flower.
3. In Chinese, the name for the peony is sho-yu, which means “most beautiful” – and we’re definitely all on board for that title!
4. Throughout history, peonies were grown for medicinal purposes. People believed they could treat headaches, asthma, and even childbirth pain.
5. Surprisingly, peonies grow well in places like Alaska because they like to keep it cool.
6. Traditionally, peonies are used symbolically to celebrate one’s 12th wedding anniversary.
7. They can bloom for over 100 years under the right care! If you have a green thumb, you’re definitely in for a treat.
Blooming season for our favorite ruffled stems begins in April and go through the months of May and June! Don’t miss out on some of summer’s best and bring home your very own bouquet of peonies. With all this newfound knowledge of peony flowers, you’ll only appreciate them more and more.Shop All