I think we can all agree: humans love the exotic. And, newsflash, you don’t have to take an expensive trip to Bali to get a taste of it. All you really need to bring those warm, tropical vibes right into your living room is to have Bouqs deliver a gorgeous tropical bouquet. It’s as easy as pie…err, shaved ice.
But don’t get ahead of yourself, caring for tropical flowers isn’t quite as simple of a task as caring for your typical household flowers. They are much more delicate and, for that reason, require more specialized attention. But let us be first to tell you, the extra work and time is totally worth it. Because these flowers will wow people; there’s absolutely no doubt about it.
Tropical flowers include a wide range of blooms, but the one thing they all have in common is their exotic allure. Just imagine the buzzing rainforest with its vibrant colors or the untouched beaches with their beautiful, tall palms and lush plant-life. You don’t have to travel thousands of miles to find tropical flowers, either. In fact, you can easily get stunning tropical flowers like hibiscus, birds of paradise, ginger, palm leaves, bromeliad, orchids, anthuriums, and heliconias delivered right to your door.
With that said, here’s how to care for tropical flowers so they can flourish and make a killer first impression in your home.
General Tropical Bouquet Care
We said it before, and we’ll say it again: Tropical flowers need more love, care, and attention than non-exotic flowers. Since most are native to extraordinary places like the Amazon Basin in Brazil, the Congo Basin in West Africa, and the volcanic islands of Indonesia (or Ecuador!), it’s vitally important to give them a healthy environment that is similar to the one they naturally thrive in. Well…As much as is humanly possible in whichever non-tropical location you live in.
- Unpack your tropical flowers ASAP. Tropical flowers don’t do well without water. So right when you get your hands on your gorgeous Bouq of exotic blooms, you should get them out of their package and into some freshwater from your sink. And never, we repeat, never put tropical flowers in the fridge. That’s a fast lane to flower heaven, to put it mildly.
- Remove foliage. Once you’ve unpacked your Bouq, it’s time to cut off the extra foliage on each individual stem. First, this means getting rid of any discolored or dead petals or leaves. And second, it means to remove any foliage that will rest below your vase’s waterline, as the leaves could introduce bacteria into your water. Trust us; you don’t want that happening.
- Trim the stems. When arranging flowers, you’ll want to cut 1/2 inch off the stems using a sharp knife or garden shears. But make sure to slice at a 45-degree angle while holding the stem under room temperature water to ensure your flowers absorb water as efficiently as possible. They’ll thank you.
- Fill your vase. Now that your tropical flowers are ready to go swimming, it’s time to give them a clean pool. So grab a vase and wash it with hot water and soap to kill any pesky bacteria. Next, fill two-thirds of the vase with cool water and move on to the next step.
- Add flower food. If your Bouq came with packets of flower food, pour one of those bad boys in your vase to give those bold flowers a much-needed, reinvigorating nutrition boost.
- Find your flowers the perfect home. Tropical flowers love warm, humid, and sunny areas so avoid placing them in a room with little light or cool drafts. Also, never ever place cut flowers under direct sunlight—a big no, no.
- Recondition flowers every 1-2 days. To extend your tropical flowers’ vase life, you should change their water, trim their stems, and remove excess or dead foliage at least every other day. Also, unlike non-exotic flowers, tropical flowers absorb water directly through their blooms as well, so misting them with water every day is also a good idea.
Birds of Paradise Tropical Flower Care
These exotic flowers have perhaps one of the most unique and captivating appearances in the entire flower world. As you probably guessed, their blooms resemble a tropical bird’s colorful beak and plumb.
To properly care for birds of paradise flowers, you should perform all the steps above. But, in addition to that, once your birds of paradise Bouq arrives, you should insert your thumb into the unopened bloom and gently remove the membrane that separates each individual flower. By doing this, your birds of paradise will sprout extra flowers, making it look much more irresistible in your home.
Orchid Tropical Flower Care
Orchids are one of the most notable and exquisite flowers out there. But despite that—or perhaps because of it—they are exceptionally expensive and delicate.
To make sure you get the most out of your orchid Bouq, the first thing you should do is submerge it entirely underwater for 10 minutes to refresh its blooms. Also, make sure to mist it every day to keep it hearty and healthy.
Heliconia Tropical Flower Care
Heliconias, also commonly known as lobster-claws, are beautiful exotic flowers native to the Pacific islands and Indonesia. These flowers are the ultimate-statement maker. If you don’t believe us, just take a look for yourself!
To maintain a happy and healthy heliconia, you should perform all the general care tips mentioned above. If you want your heliconia’s bracts or claws to look even more eye-catching, consider washing them with a little detergent upon arrival. This will make their signature red color will pop even more!
Anthurium Tropical Flower Care
Anthuriums are red, heart-shaped flowers native to the tropical Americas. Surprisingly, the heart-shaped bloom is actually not the flower at all; it’s a protective leaf. The flowers themselves are extremely tiny and are housed on the plant’s protruding spike. Across many cultures, anthuriums are a symbol of hospitality.
Immediately upon arrival of your anthurium Bouq, you should start caring for tropical flowers by soaking the entire flower and stem in cool water for 10 minutes to rehydrate it. For best results, repeat this process every two or three days. And don’t forget to mist it every day as well.
Order Tropical Flower Bouquets
Here at The Bouqs Co., we firmly believe that paradise shouldn’t always involve a long and expensive flight. That’s why we want to make it easier than ever for you to have a jaw-dropping Bouq of exotic flowers delivered right to your door. Trust us, the tropical flowers adorning your home will have your guests doing constant double-takes. We guarantee it!
Now that you know how to care for tropical flowers, don’t forget to give them all the love, care, and affection they deserve.Shop All