Your beautiful floral Bouq may be living its best life as an eye-catching centerpiece in your home, but you may not know how much more potential it has. You might be surprised to learn how many of the flowers from your flower arrangement are in fact edible! While not all flower petals are meant for consumption, a few of the edible flowers in our Bouqs can help you put those finishing touches on a great meal.
Why You Should Cook with Edible Flowers
Cooking with flowers is much more common than most people perceive. Not only are flowers a common garnish on top of a wonderful meal, but they can also be grounded and mixed into the recipe in order to give it a more elegant and sweet flavor. Many recipes that include edible flowers are typically syrups, oils, honey, vinegar, baked goods, and salads. While using actual flowers from the garden for a garden salad may seem like a ludicrous idea, it is much more accepted and used in other cultures.
Edible flowers offer various medicinal purposes when it comes to cooking. For example, gardenias, and honeysuckles can enhance brain activity and keep your mind sharp through aging. The petals of peonies and roses contain phenols, which help ease muscle pain and enhance workout recovery. Placing flowers as beautiful finishing garnishes to your dish will also help add a pop of color or up the sophistication value of your cocktail, dinner, or dessert.
What Flowers Are Edible?
One of the top reasons why people miss out on cooking with flowers is because they don’t know how to sort through which ones are edible and which ones are not. At Bouqs.com, we offer a great selection of beautiful flowers to choose from for a breathtaking Bouq in your own home. These flowers can be repurposed and added to any dish or drink that need a sweeter taste or a dash of color. The edible flowers we offer for purchase are:
- Carnations Once the flowers are trimmed from their base, the petals offer a sweet aroma and taste to any dish.
- Daisies This colorful flower’s petals can be added to the recipe of any dish to offer a sweet perfume taste.
- Roses While roses are also medicinal, their flower petals are a staple in many cocktails and dessert dishes.
- Sunflowers Sunflowers do produce the beloved sunflower seeds, but their stem can also be steamed and eaten like an artichoke.
- Peonies Peonies have the same medicinal value as roses and can help ease sore muscles.
- Orchids Orchids are typically used for the finishing touches as beautiful garnishes on any meal in need of a pop of color.
These flowers can be mixed and matched to create incredible bouquets for your home and can also be ordered for direct consumption. Visit our website and order your beautiful edible flower Bouq today!
Try Making Candied Rose Petals
Using edible flowers as a small enhancement to your dish can make all the difference. Using edible flowers as the main dish offers a sweet and unique way to use your flowers ordered from Bouqs.com. Candied rose petals are great to top any cupcake or pastry that needs that extra something.
Try this recipe from Une Deux Senses
What you will need:
2 fresh roses
1 egg white
1 tsp. water
1 cup of sugar
1. Remove the petals carefully, making sure to use the ones that are un-bruised and clean. Also, check for any bugs that have attached themselves to the petals. Lay the rose petals on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of water to 1 large egg white, whisk well. Using a pastry brush, cover the rose petals lightly with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar immediately.
3. Lay back on the parchment paper and allow the rose petals to dry completely overnight for 24 hours. The rose petals will harden overnight and can be stored and safely used for up to 3 weeks. Enjoy!Shop All