Remember dating from back in the pre-pandemic days? When it comes to dating, many of us have grown a little rusty. Maybe you had some quarantine date ideas, but they were limited to things you could do over Zoom.
And let’s face it. Lots of us struggled to come up with great first-date ideas even before COVID. Now that the world has started to bounce back, we have to figure out how to do date night all over again.
We know there’s a lot to prepare when it comes to a first date. Other than dressing to impress, you might want to look into what your date might be interested in doing. Are they adventurous? Are they more reserved? If you’re not sure, don’t be afraid to shoot them a text and ask! Sometimes, they might appreciate that more than an unwarranted surprise.
Don’t worry. We had a lot of time to come up with first-date ideas during COVID. Think of this as a helpful guide from your guardian wingperson. Anyway, take a look to see what sounds like fun for you and your date. Fingers crossed for your next date!
If you and your date love to move, these suggestions will get your hearts racing.
Feel the Beat
Are you a great dancer, or do you have two left feet? Either way, a couples dance class brings you closer together. The best part: If things go well, you can sign up for a series of classes together.
Find Some Zen
You can find yoga classes for a range of abilities and experience. Many yogis will offer modifications, so no worries if one of you is a newbie. If you’re not afraid to sweat, turn up the temperature with hot yoga.
Knock down some pins together at your local bowling alley. Bowling is fun when you have some skills and good for some laughs if you’re terrible. Plus, you can’t act too uptight in rented shoes.
Maybe after a busy day, you both want someone else to do the work. Ready to be entertained?
Dinner and a Movie: Revamped
We hear you: grabbing dinner and heading out to a movie after isn’t anything new. But it’s a combo that many haven’t tried in over a year. We get it, though. You want to go above and beyond the typical “dinner and movie” route, so we’re here to help you revamp a classic take on date night!
If it isn’t too chilly where you are, try opting for a sunset picnic at a local park. You and your date can buy sandwiches and a bottle of wine from a nearby grocery store, or if you’re feeling up for the challenge, you can prepare a home-cooked meal to share between the two of you!
As for the movie, skip out on the theater and look into some drive-in spots where you and your date can enjoy the big feature in an open space. Not only is this a fun twist of the classic movie date, but it’s also perfect for those who love that old vintage aesthetic!
Go for Laughs
You can’t go wrong at a comedy show. When the performers slay, you get a healthy dose of laughs. When they bomb, you still get lots of laughs. If you find an open mike night, you can show off your comedy chops.
If you’re sports fans, check out a pro or semi-pro team near you for a great date. When you live in a big city, you can score seats to a bunch of pro sports. Some small towns have farm teams, so you can cheer on your local stars.
Show Off Your Smarts
Whether you want to flex your mental muscles or boost your gray matter, you and your date might enjoy these cerebral pursuits.
What Is Trivia Night?
See if your local bar hosts a trivia challenge. Grab some drinks, play as a team, win fun prizes, and best the know-it-alls at the table in the corner.
Live theatres shut down during COVID, so performers can use the love right now. If you don’t have a professional theatre nearby, some community theatres do great work. You can enjoy the show and support your local arts scene.
The Great Escape
If you want to impress your date with some brainpower, take on an Escape Room! They’re all the rage lately because who doesn’t love a good mystery? And no worries for those who aren’t into the whole fear factor that comes from these challenges; there are ones that aren’t so creepy so you and your date can just focus on cracking down unsolved mysteries.
Not only is an Escape Room the perfect way to show off your problem-solving skills, but you and your date will also be able to build some great teamwork which could be a deciding factor on whether or not you’ll be getting a second date!
If you want to try a variation on escape rooms with less puzzle-solving, consider an immersive, narrative experience like The Nest in Los Angeles.
Enjoy the Great Outdoors
If you and your date revel in the fresh air, take some time to get outside with these first date ideas.
Take a Hike
Get back to nature and check out some beautiful scenery. You can round out your first date experience with some apple picking or an outdoor picnic for two. You don’t have to wait for warm weather. A winter hike makes a great backdrop for your new relationship.
Full of Hot Air
What’s dreamier and more romantic than a hot air balloon ride? If you like the idea, but you have the most fun when you keep your feet firmly planted, find a balloon festival near you and watch from the ground together. That’s sweet, too.
Ice, Ice Baby
Some people hibernate in the winter, but if you don’t mind the cold, try ice skating or skiing. You can always warm up with some hot chocolate and snuggles afterward.
Summer flowers are in bloom and ready for your viewing pleasure. Take your partner on a date to a botanical garden where you can enjoy all the wonderful floral beauties that Mother Nature has to offer! Now that you have an idea in mind for you and your summer-lovin’ sweetheart, we want to make sure you end every romantic date with farm-fresh flowers fit for the occasion.
But Wait, There’s More
After being cooped up at home, just about any night on the town sounds like fun. If none of these ideas sounds like perfect date material to you, here are a few more.
- Community centers are hidden treasures. See what yours has to offer. Take a cooking class. Have fun painting at a paint-and-sip night. Pick up a new skill. You can find plenty of cute date ideas, and they usually don’t cost a fortune.
- Indulge your passion for vinyl at a record store. Check out a poetry reading at your local coffee shop. Browse a nearby antique store. Stroll through an art gallery.
- If you’re feeling creative, design your own scavenger hunt. Stage a silly photoshoot with goofy hats and props. In your remaining time, have a spontaneous dinner date and enjoy a delicious meal.
- If you’re an animal lover, you can volunteer at a local animal shelter. Plenty of organizations all over the country could use a helping hand or two, so pick a date idea that lets you give back in a variety of ways while you get to know each other.
Last-Minute Tips from The Bouqs
Now that you’ve planned out your upcoming date, you’ll probably start preparing yourself for a fun-filled night ahead of you. But before you head out, we want to sneak in some last-minute tips to help you sweep your date off their feet!
- Eye contact is key! Not only is it a sign of respect for the person, but you’re also letting them know that you care about the conversation. This could help your date open up to you more and grow comfortable around you.
- Be confident, but make sure to include your date into the conversation. It’s great to talk about yourself, and it can get easy to ramble when you’re nervous or unsure of what else to say. Just be sure to leave room for your date to chime in and talk about their feelings and experiences. Who knows? You might find out that you have even more things in common!
- Save the flowers for the end! As much as we know you want to impress your date straight off the bat, no one wants to carry around a bouquet throughout the night. Make sure your romantic flower arrangement is well-hydrated before safely storing it in the trunk of your car. Then find the right opportunity to gift your date the freshest flowers towards the end of your date – talk about a grand finale! If you need some tips, check out our tips on the best flowers for love and romance.
Whether your date features a hockey game, improv night, or take-out in front of the TV, the important thing is that you share stories, get to know the other person, and enjoy each other’s company. After all, the photos from this date will be the first ones in your photo albums together years from now. And when you need fresh flowers online, even if you need fast flower delivery for apology flowers, The Bouqs has you covered.Shop All