The things that make our house a home are all in the details. Maybe it’s your favorite comfy blanket, the rad piece of art you snatched at the flea market, or the best spot to sit in the sun in your backyard and read a good book. Chances are, there are details in your home that make it your home.
For some people, the details that make a house into a home are a furry friend greeting you at the front door and houseplants that liven the place up. However, those two things don’t always mix. Some plants that are fine for humans to have around are poisonous or deadly to our furry friends. How can you tell if your furry friend ate a toxic plant? And what should you do? There are a few cat and dog poisoning symptoms to watch out for.
Signs to watch out for:
Maybe you brought home a plant and later found out it was poisonous to your dog or your cat. Maybe you knew that, and you thought you had the plant out of your pet’s reach. Or maybe your dog or cat got into someone else’s plants while they were out and about. Our pets are curious little animals, that’s part of what makes them such good best friends. It’s natural for them to get into some things they shouldn’t. But how can you tell if they got into a plant that’s poisonous?
If you think your dog got into a toxic plant, you’ll have to watch out for dog poisoning symptoms. Dog poisoning symptoms include vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy, coughing, or drooling. If your dog just brushed up against some poisonous plants, they may develop rashes or blisters. When dogs have rashes, they tend to lick the wounds. If this happens and they lick the sap that led to the rash, and the toxic sap will transfer to their mouth. If these cases, they could show irritation to the lip, tongue, and esophagus.
Cat poisoning symptoms could show up differently depending on what organ the plant attacks. Ultimately, many symptoms will be the result of irritation or inflammation, i.e redness, swelling, or itchiness of the skin or mouth. Some other cat poisoning symptoms include difficulty breathing, drooling, difficulty swallowing, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drinking and urinating, or irregular heartbeat.
Oh no! I think my furry BFF ate a toxic plant, now what?
Maybe you know you have a plant that is toxic to animals, or maybe your dog or cat is exhibiting some of these symptoms, and you’re unsure why, what should you do next? The best first step is to call the ASPCA animal poison control number immediately. The animal poison control number is (888) 426-4435.
The ASPCA animal poison control center is your best resource if you think your pet has ingested anything poisonous and is exhibiting symptoms. They will be able to rule out what your pet ate with you and what the best next step is. For example, if eaten, certain plants may require you to induce vomiting. On the flip side with some plants, vomiting will make the symptoms worse, and you should make sure that your pet gets plenty of water or milk to flush the plants out of their symptoms. Don’t worry- the folks over at the ASPCA animal poison control center are trained to help you figure out what to do.
Once the ASPCA has helped you administer first aid to your dog or your cat, the next best step is to take them to the veterinarian for a more long-term treatment. Your vet will be able to help you further if you know what plant they ingested. Remember, certain plants that are fine with you could be potentially dangerous to them, so it’s important to know which ones those are when you take the plants home if you have pets that like to get into things. With a little research, your furry loved ones can have happy, long lives with you and houseplants!
At The Bouqs Co., we care about our furry friends just as much as we care about their human counterparts. That’s why our online shop is full of pet-friendly options that will beautify your home without posing a risk to your dog or cat. We even put this list together of non-toxic flowers that are safe for your furry friend. When in doubt, you can always reach out directly–we’re always here to help.Shop All