If you’re a fan of all things flowers, you have probably heard of the protea. It’s becoming more and more loved within the floral community, and there’s no denying why! Protea blooms are oh-so-unique, which is why you’ve probably seen them around more often than you’d think.
Interested in learning more about the wonderful protea? Search no more – The Bouqs Co. is bringing you 10 fun facts about proteas!
1. The protea belongs to the larger family of Proteaceae, which supposedly existed in the ancient landmass of Gondwanaland – so they go way back!
2. In the U.S., proteas are commercially grown in San Diego, Santa Barbara and parts of Hawaii.
3. The genus itself was named after Proteus, a Greek god with the ability to shapeshift. The name is fitting since these blooms come in all kinds of shapes and sizes!
4. Protea is used medicinally as a cough syrup to treat certain chest disorders.
5. These flowers symbolize diversity, transformation and courage.
6. South Africa’s national flower is actually the King Protea, the largest species of protea!
7. They also come in various shades of pink, white and red.
8. Proteas flower in autumn, winter and spring; however, the species overall is evergreen.
9. Surprisingly, protea blooms thrive best after wildfires due to the scorching of their outer shell, allowing dormant buds to finally emerge!
10. All proteas have a proteoid root system, allowing them to survive in soil that isn’t as rich in nutrients.
Feelin’ like the protea expert now? Smitten by all the wonderful things this unique bloom has to offer? Stop and smell the flowers with our fall floral collection where we offer Bouqs that showcase some vibrant and farm-fresh proteas!
If you have an occasion that calls for celebration or recognition, then pairing your sincere feelings with the brightest floral arrangement out there! Browse our flower arrangements to see if there’s a good fit for you or a loved one today.Shop All