Houseplants have many health benefits – but with the limited space in your home, where are you going to put your little beauties? A ladder plant stand is a pretty option!
A DIY step ladder plant stand is a cute and creative alternative to more bulky shelves, and they have plenty of room for all the houseplants you could want. Plus, they will work well for pretty books, crystals, candles, or any other decorative pieces that you want to hang out with your plants.
Let’s learn how to create this DIY plant stand, shall we?
What You’ll Need
- 1x8x10 foot pine board
- Two 1×2 pine boards
- Tape measure
- Table saw
- Miter box
- Belt sander or sandpaper
- Framing square
- Wood glue
- Drill and drill bits
- Nail gun and compressor
- Wood finish (optional)
Building Your Step Ladder Plant Stand
- First, you will need to cut three shelves into 28.5” pieces out of the 1×8 board. Next, cut one of the 1×2 boards into two 36” pieces. Then you will cut the other 1×2 board into two 40 and 3/8” long pieces. (Note that the ends of these pieces will be cut at an angle: 60 degrees at the top and 30 degrees at the bottom.)
- Using the leftover 1×8, cut four 1” wide pieces using the table saw. Sand each edge to clean them up.
- Using the miter box, cut two 17 and 1/4” pieces, two 12” pieces, and two 6 and 3/4” pieces for the shelf supports.
- Finally, cut two pieces into 27” long to use for the braces that will go across the back the lower and middle shelves, for support.
- To prep the legs, make lines on the back at 9”, 18”, and 27”.
- Lay the back leg and the front leg flat. The edge with the 60-degree angle should sit against the back leg near the top.
- Run the framing square down the back leg. Move the front leg until it rests on the top edge of the framing square.
- While the legs are in this position, mark three lines along the framing square from the back leg to the front leg. More marks will need to be made where the top and the bottom of the 60-degree angle meet the back leg.
- Repeat this process with the other set of legs.
- Drill holes in the middle of the long and medium shelf length supports 3/8” away from the end.
- Attach the two shelf supports to each side of the 27” braces that you previously cut for the back, using 1 and 5/8” screws.
- With one of the sets of legs that you marked up, put glue on the 60-degree angle. Place this onto the back leg where the marks are.
- Nail the front leg to the back leg with the nail gun.
- Glue the legs together about 3/4” below the 9” mark.
- Place the lower shelf assembly on the legs. Make sure to keep the back flush with the back of the leg and keep the top even with the 9” lines. Nail this in place.
- Repeat this step with the other two shelf supports, then repeat this step with the other set of legs.
- Note: On the second set of legs, you will only attach the upper shelf support.
- Glue beneath the 9” and 18” line on the legs that do not have the supports on them.
- Stand the two sets of legs up and nail the lower shelf support to the leg without the shelf support right below the 9” line and the middle supports right below the 18” line.
5. Add the Shelves
- Before you begin putting the shelves in, sand them.
- Glue the top of the upper shelf support.
- Set the shelf in place, making sure the back is in line with the legs. Nail the shelf in place.
- Glue the first 6” of the middle shelf support, then place the shelf in place. Make sure the shelf sticks out past the front of the shelf support by 1”. Nail it in place.
- Glue the first 5 1/2 of the lower shelf support and place the shelf in place. Be sure the shelf sticks out from the shelf support by 1 1/2”. Nail it in place.
- Let the glue dry.
6. Add Finishing Touches
- Sand smooth any areas that still need some TLC.
- Optional: Apply a wood finish. Enjoy your plants’ new home!
There’s no better way to care for your favorite plants than by getting crafty and building a perfect place to display them to the world. Just don’t forget to check out our handcrafted Bouqs so your loyal houseplants will always have new fresh flower friends to hang out with!Shop All